Total Pageviews

Friday, May 12, 2023

In Memoriam R. Lane Herron, doll artist, author, noted authority, and my friend

A Tribute to the Memory of my Friend, R. Lane Herron Recently, I learned through eBay of all places that my friend and pen pal of nearly 37 years, R. Lane Herron, had died. I suspected it, because since Christmas, cards had been coming back to me. I searched diligently, but could find no obituary or grave, het in a back handed way, the rehab facility where he was confined indicated he had passed away. While doing yet another search to see if I could find an obituary or death notice, I found some of his things on eBay, labeled, “from the Estate of R. Lane Herron.” A kind seller filled me in as best he could.
To say the least, I am devastated, but comforted that his books and art dolls will go on. His price guides, fiction and Much Ado About Dolls, a guide for collectors, are full of knowledge and scholarship for collectors that simply isn’t done anymore. He wrote to collectors and doll makers around the globe, including Bernard Ravca, Lewis Sorensen, Joseph Kallus, Madame Alexander, Ann Parker, Lita Wilson, and many more. Lane also struck up correspondence with celebrity collectors like Greta Garbo, Jane Withers, Hattie McDaniel, Joan Crawford, and many more. His father was an actor and lawyer in the entertainment industry. Lane hobnobbed with many famous actors and singers, and he once wrote to me that he sang along with Frank Sinatra. He was a man of strong opinions, but also generous with helping others who were interested in art, antiques and dolls. Lane was an astute businessman who owned antique shops and traveled the world to study dolls for his writing. He reviewed and commented on my books, on several subjects, including literary criticism and doll history. I can only hope that his scrapbooks, photos, letters, and ephemera were saved for posterity. He and I both love books, and I used to send him volumes on history, and politics and other subjects. He sent me stickers, clippings on famous contemporary women, vintage earrings, and antique postcards. I was touched that he told me he put a photo of me and my family visiting Albuquerque in one of his scrapbooks. He also put my wedding invitation in one. Lane loved pets, and his most recent, Lamby Pie and Messy, the dove he rescued, were always prominent in his letters. He wrote of other pets, too, and wrote me a beautiful letter when my dog Smokey died. His compassion for animals was deep, and not to be forgotten. He also loved his family, and mentioned them to me often. I feel as if I know them all. Into his nineties, Lane remained independent and interest in everything. The last two dolls I know he was making were a small and large (nearly 30 inches) Joan Crawford. He admired Crawford, and was creating her as she appeared in the film “Rain.” I searched and found him doll sized bobby pins to style the wig he was creating for her. I also looked around for a home perm so he could do her hair. Often, he would ask me to do some internet research for him, since he hated online work himself. Lane was a frequent contributor many magazines on antiques and dolls, most recently Doll Castle News. His columns on “The Elite World of Dolls” were inspiring, and full of interesting facts about early doll authors and collectors. Sometimes, I received two to three letters per week from him; he loved to write, anything, and was born to be an author. We also exchanged recipes, even for our pets. His recipe for enchiladas is a family favorite. The beautiful dolls he created of historic women and actresses are like nothing else ever made. He prided himself on using vintage lace, fabric, and jewelry, as well on styling their wigs. He had a secret mixture resembling composition/plaster that he used on them, and every detail was perfect. After 37 years, it is hard to accept this kind, vibrant person, so full of talent, is gone. Yet, I am lucky to have had him as a friend, advisor, and correspondent. I will miss receiving his letters, full of little bits of ephemera and news. I used to make coffee, sit down in a favorite chair, and read his wonderful letters, my down time as it were. May his memory be eternal, and may flights of angels sing him to his rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment