Total Pageviews

Friday, February 5, 2021

A Day in the Life of American Doll and Toy Museum

 

A Day in the Life of American Doll and Toy Museum

 

 

 


I’ve spent my life in pursuit of passion.  Passion is that . . . thing, that stuff which makes life worth living.

 

William Shatner Quote on Passion from his book, Live Long and . . .:

 

 

I have a poster framed in the museum, to the left of the bookshelf with my personal books that reads, “Do it with passion or not at all.”

 

We’ve started this museum with a passion, life long, and we’ve grown and nurtured it.   It hasn’t been easy.

 







My day consists of getting up, making coffee and oatmeal, and reviewing emails and paperwork.  I feed my two kitties and get them fresh water.  In the unlikely event that I might forget, Mr. Tuxie “sweet talks” me by wrapping himself around my ankles.  Miss Bangy also does this, but she takes a more direct approach afterwards.  She goes to her dish, sits in front of it, and looks at it, then me, several times.

 

I pay bills, write letters,  deal with my family’s estate matters.  I’ve lost three people in 2.5 years, and I’ve had to run back and froth between the Midwest and West Coast, while someone at each place was always sick or dying.  One family member came cross country to live with us, then one morning last June, soon after my birthday and hers, I went to wake her up, and she was gone.  I’ve lost my friend, mentor, and teacher, worked on my writing the best I could, and finished a book which the publishers say will come out Feb. 26th.  It’s called Thinking outside the Doll House, a Memoir, and it is as much the story of my life as it is the history of dolls and doll collecting.

 

After I get dressed, I try to play the piano; I still take lessons, since age 8.  It clears my mind and my head.  I’ve known my teacher since I was 9, and I grew up with her two girls.  She was our Sunday school choir director, vacation Bible school choir director, and piano teacher.  I still learn things, and I do music theory like others do crossword puzzles.

 

Lately, we’ve had another white out/blizzard storm.  I’m blocked in the house till my husband can get up to move his truck, and our son gets to work.   Then, it’s slow, treacherous going.  I fall a lot due to sinus/ear issues, and I don’t want to fall on this ice.  The good news is I have very strong bones and am flexible; I can get up on my own.

 



In the museum, I arranging glass cases, and hoping to make arrangements to open.  Apparently the State will allow it, but we a huge case to reassemble, cleaning, sanitizing, masks to buy, glass fronts to put up, a gift shop to finish rearranging.

 

 


We also have well over 3000 books on any subject connected to dolls, books on dolls, and law books filled with cases about dolls, toys, toy making, miniatures, art and intellectual property.

 



I am emptying and rearranging our meeting room, so we can begin to rent it out when it is safe

 

We will begin creating a website besides our social media accounts, and will also begin    creating Podcasts for our YouTube Channel, currently under my name, Ellen Tsagaris.  There are short films there now about dolls and similar subjects.

 

Grants are my next big project; my programs will also benefit other local nonprofits and charities, but I need funds to maintain the building and to get started.

 

We love those who have donated items to our collection, and we love those who have donated money.  We really need financial donations and grants to operate, even to get ready to open.

 

I’m thinking we will probably be open by appointment soon.  I have finished our seasonal Valentine’s Display, but have left vintage Christmas up since no one could really see it during the season.  I also put window displays up for President’s Day and Black History month.

 











We are a teaching museum, and we promote fun and education, as well as community historical awareness and creativity.

 

Today, I hope to create a display in memory of Dr. Tweet with his amazing paper airplane and model collection, as well as some paper doll houses he made for me. I will be adding carvings and other items he and Margaret gave to me over the years.

 

A few items we’d like to add to our wish list include:

 

  1. Jackie Robinson Doll
  2. Fidel Castro doll, c. 1950s
  3. Kitty Karryall from The Brady Bunch
  4. No. 1 Barbie
  5. Barbie No. 1 stand, vintage clothes, vintage Barbie boxes from Nos. 1 to 4.
  6. Muppets Statler and Waldorf
  7. Doll from Karen Black’s Trilogy of Terror film
  8. Any actual models from Rankin Bass or animations including Rudolph, Davey and Goliath, Night mare Before Christmas, etc.
  9. Original art by Joseph Cornell and Jeff Koontz
  10. Large Japanese Friendship doll
  11. Bunraku puppet
  12. Pedal Cars
  13. Britains toy soldiers
  14. Pollock’s toy paper theater

 




Thank you all, Good Bless, and Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment