Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Ribbon Cutting at American Doll and Toy Museum February 12, 2020


Ribbon Cutting at American Doll and Toy Museum February 12, 2020

Not only was it Lincoln’s Birthday and my grandparent’s 93d wedding Anniversary Yesterday, but it was our ribbon cutting and hearing date for approval of the zoning for our doll museum.

My grandparents, Steve and Marie Fanakos were married in Paris.  He sailed to meet her in Paris, and she traveled there with the best man, who was the Mayor of her hometown, Kalamata, where the olives are from.  Later, the Communist guerrillas would hang the poor best man from a lamppost during the Civil War, but Feb. 12, 1927 represented happier times.  My grandpa was considered an expatriate, and he could not return to his birthplace to marry Marie.  It would be years before he and his family could return to settle real-estate matters and to visit.  Unfortunately, it was 1938, and the two month vacation became an 8 year occupation until they could all be liberated and returned home safely.

Feb.12th was also the date my first fiancé and I broke up rather fantastically.  His mother wouldn’t give him a permission note to get married.   As he said, if I’d minded his mother, none of that would’ve happened, and she would have allowed us to get married.  Hmph!  

So, it was time for a good Valentine’s/Lincoln Birthday holiday of sorts.

Yet, we were not without our poltergeists.  Fifteen minutes before the mayor and other visitors arrived, I locked myself out of the museum.  It was around twenty degrees, and even my Talbot’s grey wool dress, boots, and snake print Ruby Rd. cardigan couldn’t keep all the cold out.

I ran next door to Tim’s Corner, and we tried phone calls, keys, prayers, etc.  Jason, our wonderful organizer for the event, gallantly offered me his jacket and called lock smiths, fire chiefs, and police chiefs.  Some of my family arrived, including my 90 year old aunt. 

Just in the nick of time, as people were lining up outside the door, my friend drove home to get the extra key from my husband, who wasn’t answering the phone for some reason.  I’d also called the landlord, my friend Michelle from Vintage Rose, who also came running with a key. 

All's well that ends well, as the Bard might say, and we proceeded.  I’m also posting separately my comments.  Aunt Connie helped to cut the ribbon, and everyone signed it.  We are going to display it very proudly.

Mike Thoms, our Mayor, was gracious and enthusiastic, and honored us by mentioning that we did indeed have some items on display from the collection of his late mother.  

The local press was wonderful; our thanks to Bryan Bobb, camera man, and to Jonathan Turner, and the other reporters from our local stations who gave us wonderful coverage in print, on the Web, and on TV. 

The day was a celebration of our entire community, and of all the people who helped make this museum possible.

Later, we were approved by our local zoning and planning commission to use our future building as a museum.  Angela Campbell, director of our library was awesome.  She attended the ribbon cutting and the hearing later to speak for us.

It just goes to prove that dolls and toys bring people together in love, friendship, and community.  Our museum promotes diversity and culture, and honors the history of the dolls, their makers, the artists who designed them, those who collect them, and the children who love dolls and toys.

Dolls are humanities historians, and they also give us pleasure and happiness.

Happy Collecting!

Interview at Museum with Jonathan Turner of
Dispatch/Argus.  Mayor Thoms is standing in the foreground.

With Aunt Connie and Santa inside

Jason who did great PR ad the Mayor outside

Inside with the Press

Outside getting ready

L to R:  Dr. Mike and Hedy Hustedde, my former boss and colleague, and members of our board,
me, Connie, Mayor Thoms, Alderman Mark Poulos, The Fire Chief of Rock Island

The Ribbon



No comments:

Post a Comment