Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Mr. James Patterson, Toys R Us, and Nursery Rhymes; We Salute a Terrific Author!

Today on "Sunday Morning", CBS, author James Patterson was profiled.  I have been addicted to his books for some time, and as a writer myself, applaud and admire how prolific and consistently good he is.  I admit to being addicted to the Dr. Alex Cross mysteries and to The Women's Murder Club.  Many of the Cross novels have titles borrowed from nursery rhymes, including "Along Came A Spider" and "Mary, Mary."  Today's profile revealed that he was an ad man behind the Toy R Us famous campaign, " I don't want to grow up! I'm a Toys R Us Kid . . ."  From time to time, I've seen dolls and toys appear as props in his novels, but this tidbit was icing on the Easy Bake Oven cake for me!  Also, he was his class valedictorian, and wrote stories when he held an early job that proved a challenge.  Same as me! Not that I could ever have his talent, and I was 8th in my class of 500, but Mr. Patterson shares that talent Dickens and King have; he draws in his readers, and makes you feel as if you are there with him,  a good friend sharing confidences.  He also suffered great loss and personal tragedy, and he went on.  This is something I am trying to do in light of a difficult couple of years of family illnesses, emergencies, and tragedies, along with the loss of my other, aunt, and many other relatives and good friends.  But, like Mr. Patterson, my late mother would have urged us that life goes on.  Patterson is a versatile, vibrant author.  He inspires me, both by his life example and by his talent, and for that, we at the museum have to thank him!

James Patterson, Public Domain Image

Public Domain Image

The Women's Murder Club, Public Domain Image

No comments:

Post a Comment